Ward 4, Position 2
"Fayetteville and its citizens have added so much to my quality of life; that it is with a great sense of appreciation that I say thank you for the opportunity to serve as your representative to the Fayetteville City Council. I will bring the concerns of all Ward 4 citizens to the City Council and work to increase neighborhood involvement in our City government."
Occupation & Education
- Buyer for Newlyweds Foods, Inc. in Springdale, Arkansas
- University of Arkansas graduate with a BA in Communication in 2005
- University of Arkansas Walton College of Business graduate with a MBA in 2007
- Alderman Long is a native of Batesville, Arkansas who chose Fayetteville as his permanent home in 2002
- Alan has been proactive in Waterman Woods Property Owner's Association and the Fayetteville Council of Neighborhoods. Alan encourages neighborhood involvement in city government and the preservation of Fayetteville neighborhoods. Alan feels that thoughtful growth planning is the key to a thriving community.
- Alan was a proponent of establishing the Town and Gown Advisory Board. He believes that conversations between the City of Fayetteville and the University of Arkansas regarding strategic implementation of new developments in conjunction with thorough planning and comprehensive integration of a University overlay district, will help. It will help not only Ward 4, but also Fayetteville and the University of Arkansas build a stronger relationship and a shared sense of community to move us into the future.
- Alan has been a long-time advocate of animal welfare and was elected as the chairman of the Fayetteville Animal Services Advisory Board in 2010. In 2009, Alan was instrumental in starting The Friends of the Fayetteville Animal Shelter (FFAS), a local 501(c)3 organization dedicated to supporting the needs of Fayetteville's animal shelter and helping raise community support and awareness for the humane treatment of animals.
- Environmental Action Committee Chairman, 2015-Present
- Nominating Committee, 2015-Present
- Transportation Committee, 2015-Present
- Active Transportation Advisory Board Chairman, 2013-2014
- Animal Services Advisory Board Chairman, 2008-2014
- Ordinance Review Committee Chairman, 2013-2014
- Water & Sewer Committee, 2013-2014
My Key Issues
- Planning for both the University of Arkansas and community expansion is key to ensuring that Fayetteville will retain a unique, neighborhood oriented and diverse atmosphere open for an expanding population and new businesses.
- Increasing infrastructure in Ward 4 by developing more connected sidewalks, paved streets, and expanding a connected, functional trail system in Ward 4; we can enable families, students and residents of all walks of life to enjoy the diverse transit systems that so much of Fayetteville has come to love.
- City services such as police patrol, fire safety, and parks and recreation are elements of our great City that enrich our lives. I will work to bring increased police and fire protection to Ward 4 as well as more developed green space for our citizens to enjoy.
Ward Meeting Schedule
Ward 4 meetings are held on the last Monday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in Room 111 at City Hall, located at 113 W. Mountain Street.